Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Standard Chartered rants

I was invited to a party thing by Standard Chartered Bank today from work. So far so good. The food sucked. The wine sucked. The guest list consisted of horrors. Then a young fellow from Stanchart started chatting me up. I tried really hard to be pleasant. The fellow asked me if I liked classical music. I said, "yes." Then the fellow asked me if I liked Rabindra Sangeet and I said, "No." Then he proceeded to lecture me on how even Yeats liked Tagore. At which point my patience wore thin and I pointed out that we were discussing music and not poetry, and tastes in music are personal choices.

Then the fellow told me how much he loved classical music, both Indian and western. Then he told me how Beethoven composed his last symphony even though he was deaf. I suppressed a yawn. Then he could not identify a Strauss waltz being played in the gallery. At that point, I told him that he should go and network and leave me to the sucky wine and cheese. He said as he was leaving, "You really should attend more classical music concerts." I replied, "If I did, young man, I'd be working at Stanchart and not with my current employer." I like to shut up obnoxious young men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home