Saturday, June 16, 2007

Indigo - Bangkok

I should have posted this post 6 months ago. 6 months ago, I was enroute to Singapore, via Bangkok, where I had a day's work and not wanting to eat thai food, I was looking for french food in a restaurant that was not in a hotel. My crazy friend Pravat, suggested Indigo and then wouldn't hear of eating anywhere else!

It took me quite a while to get there, as my taxi driver could not locate soi Convent. The entrance of the restaurant is through a delightful courtyard, which has tables and unbrellas scattered around, though in Bangkok, it is probably not a good idea to sit outside. The bar was festooned with the French colors and filled with expats.

When the menu was given to me, I was blown away. They had a set lunch consisting priced at 340 Baht consisting of one first course and one main course dish and either dessert or coffee. I ofcourse had the other set lunch of 990 Baht that was composed of an aperitif (I had Kir), foie gras on toast, a frisee salad with lardons (out of a choice of 7-8 different first course options), veal paupiette (out of a choice of about 10 options), almond pear tart and a glass of beaujolais. Pravat, had the smaller set lunch and chose the country pate and the sea bass. I really think I had the better deal, because I didn't like the pate as much as my foie gras on toast and my veal paupiette was mind blowing.

I'm posting pictures only of my lunch, because, I'm lazy and I really think my choices far exceeded Pravat's.
This Foie gras on toast was wonderfully topped with the meat jelly. I was apprehensive when I saw the jelly at first because I don't like jelly or gelatinous textures at all. This however, burst into a meaty flavored juice inside the mouth and added to the flavors.


I love greens, I love bacon and I love eggs. So what's not to love about this salad?

This however was my favourite course. The picture just does not describe the fabulousness of the veal paupiette or the equally delicious noodles.


The dessert, however was not really anything to write home about and this was a almond pear tart, but the pears were mysteriously missing.


I should have taken the coffee instead, but my first 3 courses were so good, I didn't mind the not stellar dessert.
I would strongly advise all my dear friends in Calcutta, to hop over to Indigo on their Bangkok visits. The fixed lunch and dinner deals are a steal. Indigo should be an example to Shaun Kenworthy of the excellent Blue Potato on how to dish up excellent food that is not prohibitively priced.
Indigo
6 Soi Convent Bangkok, 10500
22353268

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your reviews, please keep them coming!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Plumpernickel said...

Thank you! Keep reading them!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading your review about INDIGO. I heard about it through a friend but have not tried it yet. I shall be there in no time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home