Friday, May 28, 2004

Ten Roses

When I was in New York earlier this month (possibly the happiest days of my life - I was alone, no worries at all and alive and healthy) the Rockefeller Center was one of the places I just had to visit. It helped that it was walking distance from my hotel. There was an Arts festival going on and artists had set up their stalls all around. A lot of it was kitsch and junk, but some work was mind blowing. There was this artist called Shu Leu and I loved her work. Her work was divided into 3 distinct phases. One was with a heavy Japanese influence, the second phase seemed very neo-impressionist to me and a lot of the paintings were very Suzanne Valadon-ish. If I had enough money, I would surely have picked up atleast one of her paintings. I could sadly afford only a print. When I get my digital camera, I shall post the picture. The print was called 'Ten Roses' and it has a woman in a yellow revealing dress in a reclining position. In front of her there are rose bushes with 9 roses on them. I just got the print back from the framers and its come out beautifully.

2 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Andy said...

I bought my wife a small Shu Leu acrylic/oil painting Christmas 2000 and it hangs in our bedroom. It's just sunflowers, a common theme, but Shu Leu caught the breeze blowing the petals and because of that it is honored in our house.
-- Andy, "tourist in the city"

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

I have a Shu Leu print that I bought at a Christmas art fair at Grand Central Station in NYC years ago. I finally have enough money to buy an oil painting. Please post her contact information if anyone knows how to reach her or where I can buy her paintings.
Thanks, Barbara, art lover

 

Post a Comment

<< Home