Sunday, September 04, 2005

X Factor

Many people tell me that their first impression of me is that I am intimidating. I often wonder if the conversation is about the same person or are they perhaps talking of some other plumpernickel? Intimidating? Moi?
Possible explanations could be -
(i) I am taller, broader and fatter than the average Indian woman and ahem! men. Maybe I embarass all the puny sorts?
(ii) I often don't giggle like a lot of women. I am given to making black remarks like, "Don't you think the world would be better if someone smashed XYZ's patella?" as conversation starters. That could be construed as scary?
(iii) I actually know more than a whole lot of people and can't keep my big, fat mouth shut about facts and er... facts of life.
(iv) I can put smart-asses in their place instantly. What to do, I went to an almost all-boys college. Its my social conditioning.
(v) In India, one usually starts introductions with so-and-so has gone to such-snd-such school and this-and-that college/ university and is related to them-and-them. Once the college is known, the next question asked is what I graduated in and then people suddenly stop all conversations with me. To all such people, I have one thing to say, Chick Lit. I enjoy Chick Lit, doesn't that make me as normal as your next-door neighbour doing Home Science from Ballygunge Science College?
(vi) I have begun to suspect that my self-absorption and navel-gazing actually are apparent now.

Anyway, the point is, that I don't know if I am intimidating or not, but seeing that it keeps away a lot of job-less good-for-nothing lay-abouts, maybe it is a good thing that i have this hidden x factor?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home