Thursday, November 11, 2010

Rehashing Memories

I visited my parents for Diwali this year. Actually one day after Diwali. What made it even better was that both my sister and brother were also able to make it. The 5 of us were under one roof after believe it or not, 11 years. The last time we assembled was during my sister's wedding, and we all know that was the stuff movies are made of, not romantic gooey teary ones, but the slapstick, the world has gone crazy ones. In-laws boycotting. Check. Crazy neighbours tying to gauge groom's age. Check. Father going all pink pagri at the last moment and ordering 50 kgs of Abar Khabo at the last moment (there were about 300 guests). Check. Sister going Bridezilla (This was my first introduction to the species and it was scary). Check. Sarcastic guests (some of who's hearts BIL had broken, no doubt) being nasty. Check. Booze under the Counter. Check. Drunk photographer. Check. Happy times. It was actually side-splittingly funny. Anyway, we were together again after 11 years!

This time it was different and better. There was a new nephew. We were relatively saner. My parents were older and had less energy and if you know my parents, you know in a way, that is good. And what did we do? We talked about old times and we laughed, and laughed and laughed until our bellies ached.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

The last time I laughed like that, rolling on the floor, kicking my legs, was two years ago, when my first brother visited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home