Friday, January 23, 2004

Numbers are plumbers

I have a radical new theory. I call it 'might is right' or 'numbers are plumbers'. I was thinking how Aishwarya Rai was voted the most beautiful woman on earth by either People or Hello magazine. My solution is so simple I wonder how no one thought of it ever. Most people forget that there are very, many Indians now. So, even on an online voting system, even if most Indians (or people constituting the Indian diaspora) vote for Ms. Rai, she would win by an easy margin. Its not as if people the world over know of her. I've asked my friends the world over and no one had heard of her, leave alone know how she looked like.

I am not impressed by voting systems because I know that every ballot can be skewed one way or the other. In my college days, I used to regularly play the ballot-box and the candidate I would support and er... was my protegee always won. It was always a simple application of the laws of statistics and some basic pop-psychology. So, all Ms. Rai fans, do not gloat on the popularity of your idol, its just that you are so many in numbers because of a freak fecundity gene in your country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home