Monday, April 26, 2004

The smallest loo in the world

Last month, in Paris, during a walking tour in the Le Marais area, our little group was taken to a cafe for a leetle cup of refreshing cafe au lait. Now, it so happened that that particular day was rather cold and all of us were dressed somewhat modishly but not too warmly. As it so happens, such conditions often pressurize one's bladder and increase the need to go take a pee. By the time we reached the cafe, I could make out that a lot of people in our group were in urgent need of a bathroom and the cafe owner pointed and told us that the washroom was upstairs. One by one, the ladies and gentlemen trooped upstairs to relieve themselves. Since it was a ultra formal group (all lawyers or spouses of lawyers, what else would one expect?) everybody politely averted their eyes on their return and placed their orders. When my turn came, I understood why most people had a strange look on their faces after returning from the loo. The so-called washroom was tiny. It consisted of a tiny chamber pot, a hanging bulb-holder and its dimensions were barely two feet by two feet, and no I am not joking. Even airplane loos are bigger than that. I suppose it was ok for men, but for the ladies it was hell. I atleast had to roll down my trousers and pantyhose and it was tough. Some women had worn layers of clothes and I wondered how they managed. After we all had coffee and something warm inside us, someone cracked a joke about the loo and the entire group burst out laughing, and whenever I think of Le Marais, the first thing I will remember would be the tiniest loo in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home