Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Oh Calcutta!

I love this city, because for the first time in my life, I have made a home, made great friends, enjoyed kaalchaar, adda, tea and jhal muri with acquaintances, not felt great rage on the roads because in Calcutta women can sometimes for small stretches walk and not be heckled, enjoyed art, drama, music and movies and mostly because Calcutta allows you to be you.

However, todays riotings and disturbances have shaken me up and while returning from work, I noticed a lot of no-good types crowding the streets and for the first time I felt afraid. I have walked around the city during bandhs and even argued with para dadas and shouted at them for being no-good types. I never felt afraid. I don't recognise Calcutta anymore, because now, I feel afraid and this is an alien feeling.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home