Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Round about the cauldron go

My friends Ponappa and Poo took me out for lunch to this place in Munirka called 'Moshe's Olive' or 'Moshe's Oliva'. The 'e' or 'a' was too stylised for me to make out in a hurry. We went there since it was the nearest decentest place to hai hai tee dilli and I absolutely refused to go to that horrible Essex Farms which is a watering hole for paunchy sardarjis and their wives dripping in bright jewellery. I was pleasantly surprised by the food. Admittedly after french cuisine, this was er... decidedly many notches down, but still the food was pretty good. I had a grilled rawas, AP had a grilled basil chicken and Poo had some sort of a vegetarian sandwich. We also had a huge pitcher of a melon-ice cooler that Poo pooh-poohed as "kharbuje ka ras" (melon juice) in her true punjabi philistine manner. (Varsha, do you notice the anupraas alankaar?) This is the same woman who had begged me not to make loud, patronizing comments on Punjabis during her sister's marriage since 90% of the wedding party would consist of punjabis. The wedding was all that I detested - loud, crass and very punjabi. But I digress. We ended the meal with sinful desserts, all chocolate, all gooey and all fattening and sinful.

The meal would have been excellent had it not been for Ponappa's and poo's mush and fake lou. The table next to ours was filled with a sardar family and I did not even have to argue my case with Poo. She agreed that most Punjabis are loud and crass and showy and a pain to share any public area with. They were so loud that we could barely hear ourselves. We also did our share of celebrity spotting. I saw Bachi Karkaria at a table close to ours. I'm not so sure she's a celebrity but she is more well known that a whole lot of people. I didnt expect her to be so tiny and bird-like.

Ponappa's redeemed herself by following my advice and doing exactly what I told her to do at her interview. So I'm happy. I wish I was not such a manipulator and a control freak, but Ponappa has no direction (Poo and Jackie/ Jacqui pull her in opposite directions and she's so naive it hurts.) and I need to kick her butt to drive some sense into her head. I hope things work out exactly the way I want them to. It would be fun working with Ponappa.

Note: I detest crassness and loud people. I do not hate punjabis, I just can't stand it when they are loud, crass and showy and a majority of punjabis get that way. It just puts me off. Poo one of my best pals is punjabi and so are a lot of my friends, still I can always have my jokes. hehehe...

1 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Reeta Skeeter said...

I am headed to Moshe's next...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home