Friday, August 20, 2004

Big fish in a small pond

I am guilty of starting awful fashion trends at my place of work. When I say awful I mean really, really awful, horrifying actually.

I stay very close to my work place and have never been particularly careful about what I wear, apart from being slightly finicky about footwear. I am also insomniac and I am often up till late in the night. As a result, I need to make a mad dash to work and I rarely put in much thought about what to wear to work. Apparently most women put in a lot of thought about workplace clothes.

In the recent past, I have been guilty of starting these fashion blunders:
  1. Red, deep red nailpaint on the toes. I wear deep red nailpaint one day and the next day I notice not 1, not 2 but 7 women wearing similar hues.
  2. Tying my hair in barettes. I have shoulder length wavy (irritating to me) hair and I tie them back with barettes at work. All of a sudden there is an explosion of barette-using women at my workplace.
  3. Wearing pink lipstick. I have an awful dusty pink shade and I wear it only if my lips are really, really chapped since it gives excellent protection. Suddenly, I find pink being the popular colour for lipsticks.
  4. Wearing pearls. I love pearls, I have every colour, but I normally wear white pearl earrings, and suddenly women all over wear very similar earrings.
  5. Wearing churidaars instead of salwars or those awful trouser/ pajamas like things that are popular in India these days. This makes me laugh. I hate salwars. I find them baggy and irritating, so I wear churidaars with everything. Previously I remember, no woman wore churidaars, now after I have been doing so for the past 2 years, everyone is a churidaar fan. Bizarre.

Heh! They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but somehow, I'd rather people not follow horrible fashion ideas. I should be the last person anyone should er... be inspired from, I am too lazy to be a fashion icon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home