Saturday, August 27, 2005

Lifestyle Events

The newest catchword for bankers in Calcutta seems to be "Lifestyle Events". These include fashion shows, art dos, launches and anything that requires moolah. These often involve "Charitable" organisations. Yesterday, I asked the banker who had invited us, what was the cause which that particular charitable organisation was supporting and he did not know! He did not even know what exactly would our hard-earned money be channelised into. According to me, just giving it to the artists themselves would be a huge charitable gesture in itself, but anyhow. Finally the mystery was revealed to all, the charity supported war, natural disasters and army widows and orphans. Hmmmmm...

The usual terrors were out in full force. I met my nice artist friends, made small talk and beat a hasty retreat home to eat my salad, rajma-chawal and really good chardonnay and watch Desperate Housewives.

2 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Where in Cal do you get 'really good chardonnay'?

I shall check out your assertions tomorrow evening - whiskey tasting, prolly not a single malt in sight and a lot of stuffed shirts trying to appear knowledgeable.

J.A.P.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Plumpernickel said...

I don't. I carry back 5-6 bottles of wine back to India whenever I travel to Europe.

Right now, the memory of my maid breaking two bottles of wine - one riesling and one bordeaux is still fresh and causing me a lot of pain. I need some tequila shots. Sigh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home