Monday, February 20, 2006

Do You Know Jesus?

Of all the crazies in this world, the craziest have to talk with me at airports, railway stations and the like. As I was cursing the airlines, the annoying ground staff, the crick in my neck and the dull ache in my back after the airlines announced that the plane was delayed for yet another hour and I prepared to trudge back to the lounge, I was accosted by this pimply korean kid with an english-korean book in his hand. He said, "What is your name prrease?", "Are you going for a visit?" So I asked him and his slightly more fluent friend where they were going, where they were from, if they were in school and college. Then, his friend asked me, "Do you know Jesus?" and handed me a tiny collection of psalms.

2 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Would you have the guts to say (f'rexample) "Yes, we're in the same gestalt group"?

J.A.P.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

It isn't entirely without reason that I don't entertain co-passengers - give them an inch and they take a mile :-) But, seriously, I find that most conversations with the said folk, sooner or later, end with rather blatant questions about your personal life, usually relating to marital status, "issues" (which, incidentally, does not refer to the cartoon controversy, the GNP, Greg Chappell's finger and suchlike), and income, etc. Annoying as it is, a little creativity goes a long way in making these painful conversations fun... for you, at least. Now, whenever I travel, I have a story ready about what I do, whether I'm single, married or divorced (usually depends on how desperate my need for entertainment is)... in fact, I've been dying to use that Woody Allen line on someone: "My wife left me for another woman." I hope I have the courage to use it when the time comes :-) Unfortunately, nowadays no one seems to want to talk to me :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home