Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Overrated Historical Monuments

In an email exchange with the cuz, he told me about the 4 towers in Bangalore and Kempe Gowda and that the towers were singularly unimpressive. I was reminded about some historical monuments that I feel are hugely overrated and which fail to evince any interest in me. Feel free to put down your lists on the commentsboard. It should be interesting. This list will be a growing list, with other inputs as well as my inputs as I see more and more of the world.

1. Mangeshkar Temple in Cortolim, Goa - There was nothing unique about it. I could not find anything great about the architecture and it was just another temple.
2. Kashi-Vishwanath temple in Varanasi - Yeah, we all know that something or the other happened to Shiva there and how sacred and holy it is. In my opinion, it is just another temple, and a very dirty one to boot. I can't understand why hindus do not keep their places of worship clean and how anyone can possibly pray amidst so much filth? I felt claustrophobic and the many brushes against ze boobies by the so-called holy men wearing saffron just made me feel disillusioned with religion in general. And whatever people may say, but I feel hinduism is majorly hypocritical. You have these aunty types going and praying fervently at kashi-vishwanath (yeah, they actually pray to a giant penis) and then sneer if they see a woman wearing trousers.
3. The Dayalbagh temple in Agra - What is so great about a stupid cult and some stupid temple they want to build to rival the Taj? On second thoughts, is it just me or are temples not my cup of tea?
4. Dakshineshwar - Calcutta is a treasure trove of interesting historical monuments, but Dakshineshwar is not one of those. Sure, I have respect for the Ramakrishna mission, but somehow, I am not very enthusiastic about any cults in the making. Talking of Ramakrishna Mission, the math at Belur, I like very much. It is surprisingly peaceful and you sense a holy feeling around. Thats the second place after Sankatmochan in Varanasi, where I could feel atleast a spark of spirituality in me. Normally I don't feel anything in places of worship.
5. Hanging gardens of Babylon - This one comes via the mater. She felt sweeping disappointment when she saw them and she felt cheated to see miles of nothingness.
6. Towers built by Kempe Gowda at the 4 corners of Bangalore - This comes via the cuz. Bigtime disappointment.
7. Nekchand's garbage garden in Chandigarh - This also came via the cuz and I agree with him. The mater seconds it vociferously. I'm all for recycling but there's this fine line between art and just garbage and I hope people realise that.

1 Comments:

At 5:28 AM, Anonymous Buls said...

Leaning tower of Pisa
Taj Mahal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home