Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Inconvenience Regretted

My parents sent this photo to me and my siblings and said, "Now that we are getting old, we know you three will be inconvenienced far more than we are comfortable. So, we thought this photo was so very apt."
Everytime I look at it, I cry a little. I am the middle child and I remember my father when he would carry all three of us (brother on shoulders, me and my sister in either hand) and my mother when she could dance for hours more gracefully and energetically than our entire class. I don't know what my sister's earliest memories of my parents are, and my brother sadly always saw them somewhat older and much tired. This photo is how I will remember my parents always. Having a ball, whatever their circumstances and always able to laugh and never EVER losing their sense of humour and dignity.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger kiwiandkitsch said...

parents,memories...
.... coming home from school and finding the smell of nankhatais or dabba cake baking, wafting through the house; a bunny rabbit mask mum made one day. I came home from school and saw you prancing around with it. Papa collecting russian science publications for kids.
I am a mother now and have'nt managed to do either of the above or any of the other stuff that they did despite having significantly better resources at my disposal.

BTW.. well written, one of my favorite posts on your blog.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Plumpernickel said...

Funnily I don't remember that bunny mask at all. :-) I do remember the masks Mom used to make for Bets, though. I'll do anything to get my hands on those Russian science books for kids now.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This is so touching. Look at the way they're smiling with each other.

I like their sense of humour!

I think I inconvenience my mother, lecturing her to eat well, get enough sleep, blah blah :-D

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous thefatherearth said...

One word. Beautiful.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Josh said...

A mighty little moment, plumpernickel. Touching. Truthful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home