Wednesday, January 28, 2004

My experiments with food

My new flatmate is bengali. I have nothing against bengalis, save for the fact that they like their food deep-fried and starchy. My flatmate too will deep-fry any and everything and combine potatoes and rice with everything. I got sick of the overdose of bengali food (though I am a bengali food fan) and looked around for recipes from epicurious, my favourite foodie site. They have recipes for interesting meals for singles or as they call it, "Dinner for one" and I got a tantalising recipe for grilled swordfish with salsa and haricot verts with lemon brown butter. I substituted swordfish with good ole' rohu and haricot verts with normal french beans. The fish was marinated for about 20 minutes in a mixture of honey, lime juice and coriander powder and grilled to a crisp. Combined with the salsa it tastes lovely. The beans in lemon brown butter were perfect with it. What I liked most about the singles recipes were that the ingredients are easily available and it does not take more than an hour to cook anything. That's my style of cooking, fast, simple yet tasty and healthy. Dinner was such a refreshing change yesterday. I used only 1 tablespoon of fat as opposed to my flatmate's drenched-with-oil treats and even then the food was mouth-watering. I'm going to try out more of those recipes. They work out pretty well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home