Thursday, February 12, 2004

A very common cold and mundane musings

I have all the symptoms of a gently germinating cold or hayfever. My nose is twitching, half-blocked and itchy, I'm feeling slightly woozy and my eyes are watering. On such occassions I normally feel very sorry for myself, but this time seems to be an exception and I'm feeling just a faint whiff of annoyance, of course I can hardly get a whiff of anything of all, but thats just the annoyance.

I used to be bugged about services in Calcutta, some are downright crappy but things have improved. IFB has opened launderettes and I've been using them for the past 2 months and am extremely kicked with their service. They pick up your washing, wash, dry and iron it for you and then deliver it at your doorstep within 2 days. I'm very happy with the washing and when you go to their launderette you can see washing machines happily whirring all over. The costs too are pretty reasonable. If your load of washing weighs more than 3 kgs, the cost is Rs. 27 per kg, if it is within 2-3 kgs, you pay Rs. 30 per kg and if it is 1-2 kgs you pay Rs. 35 per kg. To people not in India it would seem run-of-the-mill and mundane, but in India, where we have no laundromats, the service is very welcome, especially for anal people like me.

Today, I plan to make a hot thai curry for dinner to chase away the cold. A hot thai curry and a warm rum work wonders for me.

I read about the Mumbai marathon and I'm jealous. I wanted to run that one too. Maybe next year? Maybe once I am comfortably rich I can run marathons in other countries too. Not to win, but just as an alternate holiday option. As for this year, am planning to go white water rafting with ze gang sometime in March. It would be nice to see the old biddies again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home